Monday, December 13, 2010

Review: JavaScript: The Good Parts


JavaScript: The Good Parts, by Douglas Crockford.

Mr. Crockford writes a fine book for anyone who uses or needs to use JavaScript - ever. He quickly presents his view on JavaScript, that it can be a powerful and expressive language, but that it has some rather large warts. The author quickly leads the reader through an introduction to JavaScript, and shows how to avoid the major pitfalls inherent in JavaScript.

This book is fairly terse and not so much a learn-JavaScript book as it is a guide. The beginner embarking on a journey through the JavaScript jungle should certainly purchase this book as a companion to another more beginner-friendly book, to help clarify (and possibly correct) points being taught. I enjoyed JavaScript: The Good Parts, and recommend it to any one who works with or will work with JavaScript. It will make a big difference. Before taking a look at this book, I certainly would have happily criticized this language, but the author makes several good points and made me reassess my opinion of JavaScript. If I am ever in a position where I develop with JavaScript, you can be sure that this guide will be by my side, helping me to avoid the many pitfalls and use JavaScript to its full effectiveness.

No comments: